It would be really cool if I was born on the 20th instead of the 21st, why? Well then my DOB would be 20/12 get it? You know December = 12 and oh nevermind.
My year in review (that is normally what one posts on January first right?)
January 2011
Went on a nice one week cruise with a friend of mine who was also a teacher in my school. It was great, we visited San Juan, Tortola, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Dominica, and Barbados on the Serenade of the Seas. She was the best travel companion I have ever traveled with. Two things I did that I can cross of the proverbial bucket list include: Swimming with dolphins and riding a Seqway.
February 2011
Entertained the idea of taking a leave from education administration.
March 2011
Gave my notice.
June 2011
Had a very touching 'retirement' going away party at the school. All the students where there and gave some really nice and moving speeches (I still have them in a folder, to cherish) and some really nice parting gifts.
August 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed the first month of not having to do anything administrative, or even work related. Spent the month playing with my kids and having a blast. We terminated Jocelyn's employment as the kids nanny, but she still spent many days with us as if she never left.
September 2011
Started to get a bit restless, everyone went back to school or work and I was left at home. Not being a great housewife (Jocey normally did all that) I watched plenty of movies to take my mind off the realization that I really had no input or "worth" to the economy or anyone's lives whilst at home. It may have been better if there were someone home with me, but the twins are now in kindergarten and away all day as well. I decided to get a job. Now I didn't want to go back to school as a teacher or principal again so I decided to do like everyone else does and submit resumes.
One great thing I did was go to the government funded employment offices, I took the resume writing course, the interview course, the job market course, and whatever else they offered (I even went to a RCMP seminar!) they were great and got me really motivated to look for a non-educational job.
October 2011
I worked like a dog on my resume, (I am so sick of doing resume revisions you can not imagine), and sent it out to the jobs I wanted. Since I didn't have to work right away (thanks to Employment Insurance) I could be very selective. I was even getting interviews, so I knew I was doing something right. Funny thing though, you never have the perfect resume, even if you double and triple check it there is always a mistake somewhere.
November 2011
I was starting to get very depressed, I mean really, why wasn't anyone hiring me? I'm smart, (yes conceited too) a great worker, and a likable person. I really didn't want to go back to schooling, but it seemed like it was the only option. I did turn down one job but seriously; retail manager, 1 hour away from home without traffic at $14 an hour and no benefits, long hours and the major road is scheduled to be under construction for 2 years? Yeah I'm glad I turned it down. There was another job; Billingual German customer service rep. Sounded great until they said I would be the only soul in the building at 4am...yeah, no thank you.
I had an interview for a call centre position, but I came just twenty minutes too late as all the potential positions where filled, but they would keep my name on file for the next recruiting session in December.
December 2011
Loved being off during this month, I was finished Christmas shopping by the 7th! I recommend everyone to be off in December, so many Christmassy things to do, and I didn't have to worry about being at work over my birthday. I was offered another job, but I turned it down, it was close to home but it paid next to nothing and didn't offer any benefits either. THEN I received a call from the call centre interview I had in November, I was to have a 2nd interview...Off I went and three hours later I received a call that I got the job! Perfect timing too, my car just came out of the shop with a new heater, this put me back $800 but since it gets cold here, it was a mandatory expense. I've worked/trained for 3 days it's very different than teaching but I'm looking forward to doing something completely different and less stressful. I find it hard to keep my mouth shut about how they are training us...I would never let any teacher of mine teach this way, and thankfully I don't need to worry about it.
Christmas was nice, especially since we gave Jocelyn her job back. The kids missed her and she missed them, I must admit I missed her too. She was having difficulties finding a job and her savings were starting to run out too. We look forward to welcoming her back into our home officially (as a paid nanny) on Sunday next week, but she's already moved in so really it's a mute point.
Well that's it for me and my first post of the year. I hope I will keep it up and I would like to wish whom ever reads this a very prosperous and blessed 2012
((when I previewed this, it was double spaced...sorry for this as I don't know how to fix it if in fact it posts like that))
No comments:
Post a Comment